Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Festival of Trees

I have the most on the ball, fun, creative sisters-in-law.
About 8 years ago one of my sisters in law told us about what her side of the family does for Christmas. ( At the time, my family was exchanging names with all the married couples to give gifts.) My sis in law said that her family would all go in together and give to someone else in need. We thought that was a great idea and we started the tradition in my family.
I have a niece and some nephews who have served terms in Iraq. One year we sent boxes and boxes of things they had suggested the soldiers and Children over there needed.
We have given hundreds of $ to food banks or help a specific family that one of us knows about.
Way back on JULY 4th when I was visiting my family my sister in law, Christine, told me she was going to do a festival of trees tree at Christmas. She gave my family our assignment to help in decorating the tree. I have 8 brothers and sisters and each of them and their family was assigned something to get this tree ready.
A few days before Thanksgiving MY family finished and sent our log cut, wood burned ornaments to Christine. She, my sisters and a niece went, set up and decorated the tree. All the trees are for sale during the week they are displayed.

This is the tree we all made something for. My mom just told me that, each person displaying a tree has an assigned letter and number to catalog the trees. My sister in law asked if she could have O 18. I have a sister that died when she was 15 and her birthday is October 18th.
ALL of the $ from the sale of our tree went to Primary Children's Hospital.

Our tree sold on the 1st day for $1,100
I wish I could have been there to see it in person. I LOVE the fun, creative ideas people have and use those to give, serve and help others!

5 comments:

Kelly said...

That is such a fun idea for a big family project! The tree looks incredible.

Price Cream Parlor said...

I think that these types of projects over the holidays are the best and mean the most! That is so fantastic to know that you donated that much to Primary Children's! The tree is gorgeous!

Rosander said...

I have loved this tradition. It has been so good and it has been so fun to give to someone who really needs it. The tree did turn out amazing!

Anonymous said...

What a great idea! It is beautiful...and all for a great cause. $1100? Holy smokes!

cjdustin said...

That is such a sweet tradition. I love the tree and what a wonderful memory. Way to go!

Runner's Log

  • Sat.Aug.30th 20miles
  • Tue.Sept.2nd 4 miles
  • Thur. Sept.4th 7 miles
  • Fri. Sept.5th 10 miles
  • Mon. Sept 8th tapering....
  • Tues. Sept. 9th 4 miles
  • Thur. Sept.11th 6miles
  • Sat. Sept.13th 10.5 miles
  • Tue. Sept.16th 4 miles (on the treadmill. got locked in the club!) I'll tell that story another time!
  • Sat. Sept. 20th 26.2 miles